1kg of white sugar
1 tin of condensed milk
100g of unsalted butter
a little fresh milk to dampen the sugar
Preparation time : 20 minutes
1. put sugar in a pan and dampen it with a little milk (not too much - less than half a cup)
2. add butter and the condensed milk and turn on heat to medium.
3. keep stirring until the mixture comes to the boil (approx. 10 mins)
4. its important not to burn the sugar so keep stirring.
5. when it starts to boil turn down the heat.
6. keep stirring to stop the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
7. let the mixture simmer (that is keep it bubbling but not too hot)
8. the volume often increases so you need to use a big saucepan.
9. notice the mixture will begin to change colour. It will start going darker.
10. keep stirring and then when you feel a change in consistency (it will start to feel grainy on the bottom of the pan and the mix will thicken) you need to check that its ready.
11. take a little of the mixture on a teaspoon and plunge it into a glass of cold water. It should form a soft sticky ball that should drip off the spoon very slowly. If it does this then it is ready.
12. quickly pour the mix on a greased baking tray and let it set hard.
13. wash the saucepan immediately or it will be difficult to clean when the mix dries.
14. keep in fridge overnight.
15. cut into chunks or small slices.
HAVE A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND SEE YOU ALL IN THE NEW YEAR!!!!
LOTS OF LOVE, KATE